Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology
This new and revised second edition of Jeffrey S. Levinton'sMarine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecologypromises to be as fascinating and informative as the first, with additions that bring it up-to-date on current research issues. Designed for one-semester junior/senior courses, this established volume stands as one of the most current and thorough resources for students in the multidisciplinary field of marine biology. The new edition includes significantly expanded coverage of marine mammals and hypothesis testing and offers entirely new sections on subtidal rocky reefs, metapopulations, marine invasions, marine protected areas and no-take fishery zones, and molecular approaches to marine biology and fisheries. It emphasizes the relationship of the functional ecology of organisms to higher levels of organization, including major marine habitats and ecosystems. It effectively describes a variety of current research areas, conveying the dynamic range of activity in the field, and uses "Hot Topics" Essays to teach students that scientific study is an active and ongoing process.
Complementing the text are a wealth of pedagogical features including:
· 32 full-color plates
· Expanded text boxes that highlight important and current research topics
· A self-test keyed to the chapters and bound into the back of the book
· The CD-ROM, "Marine Biology Explorations." This in-text CD takes students on a guided tour of marine environments and animals with approximately 450 full-color photographs and illustrations, annotated with informative descriptions. Images are from both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of North America, Europe, Australia, and Antarctica. Each subject area allows students to wander in new environments and encounter new organisms and ecological features.
· A Website maintained by the author: http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/marinebio/mbweb.html. This useful website provides links to other sites such as college marine biology programs, careers and jobs in marine biology and oceanography, reference sites, organism pages, marine biology research literature, and worldwide marine laboratories.
· Ancillary PowerPoint® Overheads. These elaborate overheads include most of the pictures from the text and are available free to adopters on a CD-ROM (call 1-800-280-0280) or from the Internet: http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141725.html.
· An associated laboratory manual:Exploring Marine Biologyby Paul Haefner. This book is the only manual of its kind with exercises that apply to all of the diverse marine habitats of North America. It meets the needs of any beginning marine biology student with little to no background in the biological sciences. Each unit includes a broad range of exercises, allowing instructors to select those that best match their needs. The manual is also unique in providing extensively illustrated identification keys for three of the major marine lifeforms: invertebrates, plankton, and fishes.
1996 272pp.; 101 illus.
0-19-51417-7 paper APS HAEFN
Other editions - View all
JSTOR: Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology.
MARINE BIOLOGY: FUNCTION, BIODIVERSITY, ECOLOGY. By Jeffrey S Levinton. New York: Oxford University Press. $47.95. xi + 420 p + 16 pi; ill.; index. ...
Marine Biology by Jeffrey Levinton
MARINE BIOLOGY: FUNCTION, BIODIVERSITY, ECOLOGY. BY Jeffrey S. Levinton. Published by Oxford University Press, New York. New Exciting 2nd Edition with CD ...
life.bio.sunysb.edu/ marinebio/ oxfordbook.html
ingentaconnect Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology, by ...
Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology, by js Levinton, 2nd Edition, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001, 515 pp. + CD ...
www.ingentaconnect.com/ content/ maik/ rumb/ 2003/ 00000029/ 00000002/ 00468202;jsessionid=29a4oh0tatc9c.alice?format=print
Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology
This package includes Jeffrey S. Levinton's successful textbook, Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology, Second Edition and its accompanying ...
symbiosis.nre.gov.my/ References/ Pages/ MarineBiology.aspx
Biology 121: Marine Ecology
Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology, 2nd ed. Oxford University Press. Course Pre-requisites: This is an advanced ecology course in which we will ...
www2.hmc.edu/ www_common/ EnvironCenter/ academics/ marine%20ec.doc
ilink Universidad de Alicante
Marine biology : function, biodiversity, ecology Levinton, Jeffrey S. Written by one of the most highly respected researchers in marine biology, ...
gaudi.ua.es/ uhtbin/ boletin/ 66188
Oxford University Press: Marine Biology: Jeffrey S. Levinton
This new and revised second edition of Jeffrey S. Levinton's Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology promises to be as fascinating and informative ...
www.oup.com/ us/ catalog/ he/ subject/ LifeSciences/ OrganismalBiology/ MarineBiology/ ?view=usa&
bioscience: Beyond Marine Organismal Biology. (Books).
Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology. Jeffrey S. Levinton. Oxford University Press, New York, 2001. 515 pp., illus. ...
findarticles.com/ p/ articles/ mi_go1679/ is_200303/ ai_n7428555/ print
livre marine biology : function, biodiversity, ecology (2nd ed ...
Marine biology : function, biodiversity, ecology (2nd ed. 2001) (with CD ROM). Auteur(s) : LEVINTON Date de parution: 03-2001 Langue : ANGLAIS ...
www.lavoisier.fr/ notice/ fr093145.html
Don't Eat Your Flatfish Before they are Counted - A Flatfish Data ...
Marine Biology: Function, Biodiversity, Ecology, Second Edition. Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 495-503. www.dictionary.com ...