This book presents new translations of Mesopotamian and ancient Near Eastern historiographic texts, providing the reader with the primary sources for the history of the ancient Near East.
- A primary source book presenting new translations of Mesopotamian and ancient Near Eastern historiographic texts, and other related materials.
- Helps readers to understand the historical context of the Near East.
- Covers the period from the earliest historical and literary texts (c.2700 B.C.) to the latest Hellenistic historians who comment on ancient Near Eastern history (c.250 B.C.)
- Texts range from the code of Hammurabi to the Assyrian royal inscriptions.
- A detailed commentary is provided on each text, placing it in its historical and cultural context.
- Maps, illustrations and a chronological table help to orientate the reader.