Resting on the banks of the Ohio River, Ashland is eastern Kentucky's largest city. After the Poage family settled on land between Hoods and Keys Creeks in Boyd County, the area came to be known as the Poage's Settlement. Before long, a small town began to take form in the early 1800s with the establishment of a church, gristmill, sawmill, and homes built near Hoods Creek. In 1847, the townspeople built their first post office, and the Lexington and Big Sandy Railroad laid tracks through town, opening the area for even greater development. Named for the estate of Kentuckian Henry Clay, the city of Ashland was made official by an act of legislature in 1856.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Old Fashion Fun
A Last Look
1910s photograph Armco Field Arnold Manners Photographic ASHLAND KY Ashland National Bank Ashland Oil Avenue looking west background Baldridge Collection barge boat Boyd County Public Broadway built business district C&O Depot Camden Park Carter Avenue Catlettsburg Central Park Clyffside Park Coal and Iron Coal Grove Company corner County Public Library Courtesy Crump and Field downtown early Eastern Kentucky Fifteenth floodwaters Front Street Greenup Avenue looking Greenup County High School Hotel Ventura Huntington Ironton James Joseph Burdett Home Kenova Kings Daughters Hospital Lexington Avenue Manners Photographic Collection Minnie Winder Room National Bank Building Ohio River Paramount Arts Center photograph shows photograph taken photograph was taken picture Poage family Portsmouth pose postcard Powers Collection Railroad Railway riverboat rollercoaster Second National Bank seen Seventeenth Street side of Greenup stand today Steele and Lawrence Street and Greenup Street and Winchester structure Thirteenth Street town West Virginia Winchester Avenue