« PreviousContinue »
Esq., was colonel, and was in the skirmish of July 6, 1758, made memorable by the death of Lord Howe, two days before the repulse of Abercrombie at Ticonderoga. He was fond of relating in his old age the incidents of the fight, every particular of which he well remembered. He saw Lord Howe push forward when the firing began in the immediate front, and, a few moments after, saw the lifeless body carried to the rear. At a town meeting* held in Manchester, Dec. 29, 1776, he was chosen one of a committee to levy a tax for soldiers' bounties; and at town meetingst held March 18, 1776, and March 9, 1778, he was chosen one of the committee of correspondence, safety and inspection. He held numerous other offices in the gift of the town, and was one of the Selectmen for the years 1776, 1778, 1779, 1780, 1787 and 1789. He m. (1) in Ipswich, June 15, 1769, Sarah Butler of Ipswich. She d. in Manchester, Sept. 8, 1797. He m. (2) in Manchester, April 13, 1802, Ruth Allen, and d. there Dec. 25, 1821, aged 82 years. Letters of administration on his estate, which was appraised at $5,047, were issued Jan. 1, 1822, to John Cheever, Jr., his eldest son. His widow d. in Manchester, Dec. 5, 1824, aged 71 years. His children, all by his first wife and all b. in Manchester, Mass., were: i. John, b. May 6, 1785 ; m. in Manchester, March 29, 1807, Elizabeth
Lee, dau. of John and Elizabeth Lee. He was one of the selectmen for many years, and was a representative in the legislature of 1829. He d. in Manchester, Nov. 22, 1841, without issue. His widow m.
(2) in Manchester, Dec. 10, 1844, Joseph Hooper. ii. Sarah, b. Nov. 18, 1787; m. in Manchester, Mass., Oct. 22, 1808,
Capt. Jonathan Hassam, I and died there Aug. 19, 1848. iii. Mary, b. June 19, 1790; m. in Manchester, March 24, 1814, Joseph
Allen. 7. iv. Jacob, b. Dec. 20, 1791. 5. EZEKIEL* ( Ames,: Samuel," Ezekiel?), yeoman; bapt. in Manchester, Mass., March 29, 1741; m. in Ipswich, Dt. 6, 1770, Susanna Butler of Ipswich, a sister of the wife of his brother John Cheever. She d. in Manchester, May 15, 1826, aged 82, and he d. there July 14, 1826. Their children were:
i. EZEKIEL, b. in Manchester, Mass., Sept. 8, 1771.
19, 1795, Cunningham Davis (published as Kennisom Davice); m.
(2) Carter, and d. a widow, in Manchester, March 13, 1857.
Feb. 23, 1788. vii. Susan. Married in Manchester, Feb. 18, 1811, Benjamin Leach, Jr. 6. SAMUEL* (Ames, Samuel, Ezekiel'), joiner; b. in Manchester, March 12, 1756; m. in Salem, March 29, 1787, Anna Ropes. She d. in Salem, April, 1799.||
He .m. (2) in Salem, May 10, 1800, Hannah Clark, and, while temporarily insane, committed suicide by hanging, in Salem, May 14, 1818.1
* Town Records, iv. 162.
+ Ibid. iv. 158, 171. REGISTER, xxiv. 414. $ Hist. Coll. Essex Inst. vii. 250.
|| Ibid. ix. 97. 51 “Ang. 11, 1818. We had in Salem a vendue of the effects of a felo de se, a carpenter, named Samuel Chever. He was an honest, industrious, melancholic man. He had in his possession his share of the books of his father, Amos Chever, minister of Manchester, son of S. Chever, minister of Marblehead, who was son of the preeminent Master Ezekiel Chever, of the Boston Grammar School. The books sold well, and the better from regard
Administration on his estate, which was appraised at $1,420.80, was granted
1813, Ephraim Abbott, and removed to Zanesville, Ohio. iii. Anne, bapt. Ist cburch Salem, June 10, 1792 ; d. Oct. 23, 1793.5 7. JACOB' (John, Ames, Samuel," Ezekiel?), yeoman; b. in Manchester, Mass., Dec. 20, 1791 ; m.(1) there, May 11, 1817, Hannah Hilton Crombie. She d. Dec. 6, 1829. Their children, all b. in Manchester, were:
10. i. John, b. Sept. 1, 1817. 11. ii. Jacob, b. May 6, 1819.
ii. Rufus, b. Jan. 21, 1821 ; lost at sea about Sept. 17, 1843. 12. iv. AUGUSTUS, b. Jan. 19, 1823.
Hannah, h. March 30, 1825 ; d. Sept. 23, 1827. vi. Hannau, b. July 19, 1828 ; d. in Manchester, Dec. 17, 1852. He m.(2) in Manchester, Sept. 12, 1831, Betsey Preston, widow of Preston and dau. of William and Betsey Morse. She d. in Manchester, June 28, 1865, aged 70 yrs. 7 mo, 28 ds. Children of Jacob and Betsey, both b. in Manchester, were: vii. William MORSE, b. June 3, 1832 ; m. in Brookline, Oct. 3, 1878, Jane
Duncan. viii. Mary BUTLER, b. Sept. 11, 1840; d. Aug. 19, 1841. 8. JACOB” (Ezekiel,* Ames» Samuel, Ezekiel), master mariner; b. in Manchester, Mass., April 28, 1785; m. there Nov. 26, 1812, Nancy Hassam, ß dau. of William and Elizabeth Hassam. He d. in Havana, June 9, 1817, according to the Manchester Church Records ; May, 1817, according to the Town Records. His widow m. (2) in Manchester, Oct. 10, 1819, Samuel Cheever, brother of her late husband. The children of Jacob and Nancy, all b. in Manchester, were:
i. Jacob, b. June 27, 1813; d. in Manchester, Aug. 23, 1814,
John Carter. 9. SAMUEL (Ezekiel," Ames, Samuel," Ezekiel'), yeoman; b. in Manchester, Mass., Feb. 23, 1788; m. (1) there, Aug. 29, 1813, Priscilla Crafts. She d. in Manchester, Feb. 4, 1815. Child :
13. i. Samuel, b. in Manchester, Mass., June 5, 1814. He m. (2) in Manchester, Sept. 3, 1815, Fanny Allen. She d. in Manchester, March 6, 1819. Child :
14. ii. HENRY ALLEN, b. in Manchester, Mass., June 27, 1816. He m. (3) in Manchester, Oct. 10, 1819, Nancy (Hassam) Cheever, the widow of his brother Jacob Cheever, and d. in Manchester, Nov. 18, 1860. to the widow who is a granddaughter of the Rev. Peter Clark of Salem Village, now Upper Danvers." (Copied from the MS. Diary of Dr. William Bentley, by the late William Bentley Fowle, for the Rev. Edward Everett Hale's MS. Notes for a History of the Boston Latin School.) Samuel Cheever lived on Court Street, now Washington Street, Salem, nearly opposite the building occupied by the Registry of Deeds and Probate Court. See Essex Deeds, Lib. 159, fol. 268, and Lib. 245, fol. 95.
* Hist. Coll. Essex Inst. ix, 107.
§ REGISTER, xxiv. 414.
His widow d. in Manchester, April 5, 1871. Their children, all b. in Manchester, Mass., were:
iii. ELIZABETH ALLEN, b. Aug. 12, 1820; m. in Boston, Dec. 2, 1851,
Elbridge G. Morrison.
PRISCILLA CRAFTS, b. March 21, 1824; m. in Manchester, May 14, 1848,
Elhanan W. Hutchins. 15. vi. CHARLES AUGUSTUS, b. Sept. 5, 1827.
vii. Mary FRANCES, b. June 12, 1829; d. July 3, 1829.
viii. Mary FRANCES, b. Sept. 21, 1831. 10. John (Jacob, John,Ames, Samuel, Ezekiel), mariner; b. in Manchester, Mass., Sept. 1, 1817 ; m. there, Dec. 25, 1840, Elizabeth F. Tappan, and was lost at sea about Sept. 17, 1843. Child :
16. i. John Henry, b. in Manchester, Mass., Sept. 13, 1841. 11. JACOB® (Jacob,» John,' Ames,» Samuel, Ezekiel), b. in Manchester, Mass., May 6, 1819; m. at Cape Elizabeth, Me., Oct. 10, 1843,* Elizabeth C. Lee, dau. of Richard and Mary Lee, and gr.-dau. of Downing and Eleanor Lee of Cape Elizabeth, Me., formerly of Manchester, Mass. Children :
i. John Rufus, b. in Portland, Me., May 8, 1846.
iii. Ella L., b. in Portland, Me., March 4, 1853. 12. AUGUSTUS& (Jacob, John," Ames, Samuel, Ezekiel"), b. in Manchester, Mass., Jan. 19, 1823; m. in Beverly, Nov. 23, 1856, Sarah Ellen Brown,f and d. in Manchester, April 9, 1871. Child:
i. Lizzie ELLEN, b. in Manchester, Sept. 11, 1859 ; d. there Dec. 2, 1866, 13. SAMUEL (Samuel, Ezekiel, Ames, Samuel, Ezekiel'), b. in Manchester, Mass., June 5, 1814; m. there, Sept. 17, 1840, Susan Hannah Friend.
14. HENRY A.8 (Samuel, Ezekiel,“ Ames,» Samuel,? Ezekiell), master mariner; b. in Manchester, Mass., June 27, 1816; m. in Bradford, Mass., Dec. 12, 1839, Frances R. Goodrich of Ipswich, and d. in San Francisco, Cal., Aug. 18, 1873. Children:
i. ELIZABETH Wood, b. in Westminster, Vt., Oct. 31, 1840.
cisco, Cal., Feb. 4, 1868, Arthur Wellington Bowman.
cisco, Cal , Oct. 16, 1873. Horatio Nelson Wright. iv. CARRIE BUTLER, b. in San Francisco, Cal., June 28, 1854. 15. CHARLES A. (Samuel, Ezekiel," Ames, Samuel, Ezekiel'), b. in Manchester, Mass., Sept. 5, 1827; m. in Essex, Jan. 17, 1857, Lucy S. Stanwood of Essex, dau. of Ebenezer and Martha Stanwood. She d. in Manchester, May 13, 1875. Children, all b. in Manchester, were: i. CARRIE STANWOOD, b. July 30, 1858 ; m. in Manchester, Oct. 11, 1875,
George W. Hooper.
iii. Ella FRANCES, b. June 5, 1869 ; d. "Sept. 17, 1869. 16. John HENRY' (John, Jacob,” John,* Ames, Samuel, Ezekiel"), b. in Manchester, Mass., Sept. 13, 1841; m. in Beverly, Dec. 1, 1870, Adelaide Edwards of Beverly, dau. of Israel O. and Cynthia Edwards. Children, both b. in Manchester:
* The Town Clerk of Cape Elizabeth informs me that the date of this marriage according to the Town Records is Oct. 9, 1843. The true date, as given by the parties themselves, is Oct. 10, 1813.
+ Hist. Coll. Essex Inst. viii. 181.
i. CORA ALICE, b. Nov. 7, 1872; d. Aug. 17, 1873.
John Rufus' (Jacob, Jacob, John," Ames, Samuel,' Ezekiel"), b. in Portland, Me., May 8, 1846; m. in Boston, June 10, 1869, Helen A. Hill, dau. of Elliot A. and Helen M. Hill. Children, both b. in Manchester:
i. FRANK Gilman, b. Sept. 27, 1871.
ADDENDA. AUGUSTUS Brown CHEEVER, son of Augustus® and Sarah Ellen Cheever, was born in Manchester, Mass., Sept. 2, 1857.