Written in an engaging style, this text introduces students not just to what Muslims believe and practise, but also to the history and development of Islamic studies as a discipline.
- Provides a thought-provoking account of the origins, major features and lasting impact of the Islamic tradition.
- Introduces students to the history and development of Islamic studies as a discipline.
- Examines how monotheism in the Near East produced a unique and brilliant intellectual and religious tradition spanning the fields of Islamic law, theology, philosophy and mysticism.
- Surveys the ways in which Islamic tradition has enriched the world and in turn been enriched by interaction with other civilizations, from the Mongols to the modern West.
- Considers the opportunities and challenges facing Muslims today.
- Includes detailed chronologies, tables summarizing key information, and useful maps and diagrams.