Page images




advised by the Castle were commenced, and tithe processes

issued. In December, the business of process-serving began. On the 12th of that month, a process-server, named Butler, accompanied by a police force numbering thirty-nine men, under the command of Mr Greene, resident magistrate, and Captain Gibbons, sub-inspector, set out on his mission. The peasants, who had collected in small batches, followed the police and process-server from point to point on their march, but made no effort to impede their progress. Many processes were served, and the police and processserver retired safely after their day's work without let or hindrance from the people. On the 13th, the work was resumed, and Dr Hamilton himself rode out in the morning to learn what progress had been made. He met Captain Gibbons, and received all particulars from him. "We got on excellently yesterday,' said the chief of the police ; not the slightest interruption from anyone.' 'I hope you will get on peacefully to-day also,' said Dr Hamilton, and I trust that there will be no collisions with the people, and above all, no bloodshed.' 'Oh, there is no fear of that,' said Captain Gibbons, 'I have got a force which could disperse any Irish mob.' Dr Hamilton felt reassured, and the work of process-serving was peacefully carried out on the second day as it had been on the first. The peasants, however, had collected in larger numbers than on the previous occasion, and followed the proceedings of the police with many expressions of irritation and hostility. As the latter were returning homewards in the evening, the peasants crossed their line of march in large numbers, and blocked the way. The police halted. The leader of the peasants, “a man in a kind of military uniform, and wearing a sash,' stepped forward and said, “Things passed off quietly yesterday, and they passed off quietly to-day, but they won't pass off quietly to-morrow if you begin at this work again ; so we warn you in time.' He then retired, the peasants dispersed, and the police marched on without further interruption.

On the morning of the 14th, the processserver and the police set out once more in the discharge of their duties. They had not proceeded far on their way, when the blowing of horns and the ringing of chapel bells were heard, and the peasants were seen gathering in hundreds to the summons, coming armed with sticks, pitchforks, slanes, and scythes. The man in the semi-military uniform and the sash, who had confronted the police on the previous evening, was conspicuous as their leader.

The police held on their course, having taken precautions to guard themselves against attack, while the peasants steadily followed them from place to place, marching in divisions and in quasi-military order. Some hours passed, and several processes were served without peasants and police coming into collision. Between one and two p.m. the police turned in the direction of the hamlet of Higginston to finish up their three days' work, and serve the remainder of the processes. On the line of march to Higgins




ton, Captain Gibbons chose his way through a narrow defile or pass, with high stone walls on either side. This defile is known in the neighbourhood by the name of Carrickshock. A worse line of march than that through the pass, or, as the peasants call it, the 'boreen' of Carrickshock, could not, Colonel Harvey said, be taken. On the other hand, Mr Greene said the line of march was excellently chosen for defensive purposes. But, be the question of ill or well choosing of the line of march as it may, Captain Gibbons had scarcely reached the middle of the 'boreen' when the blowing of horns was again heard, and before the chief of the police could realise the situation, the peasants seized the entrances to the pass with a rush, and thronged along the stone walls. Their leader then advanced to Captain Gibbons, who was mounted, and said, 'We don't want to harm the police. We want the process-server. Give him up to us and we won't interfere with the police at all.' Gibbons answered, 'I shall not give him up. It is my duty to protect him, and I shall do my duty. The peasant, in reply, urged that the people were determined to have the process-server, and would not go away without him. After some further conversation, Gibbons expressed his willingness to give up the work of process-serving for the day, provided the people dispersed.

The peasant replied that the police might do anything they liked if they gave up the process-server. That,' said Gibbons; 'is out of the question. The parleying then ceased.

[ocr errors]


The peasant returned to his own party, and Gibbons ordered his men to march forward. As the police advanced, the leader of the peasants, backed by his followers, once more confronted Gibbons, demanding the surrender of the process-server.

Gibbons again firmly declined, and called on the peasants to give way and let the police pass on. The peasants refused to yield an inch of ground until the process - server was surrendered, declaring their determination to put down the tithe system. Gibbons then ordered his men to present arms,' and placing himself at their head, gave the word 'fire,' at the same time drawing his revolver and shooting the leader of the peasants. The police fired with effect, and many of the peasants fell killed wounded. But the police fire was quickly returned by a volley of stones from the ranks of the peasants, and Gibbons, struck on the temple by one of these missiles, dropped from his horse dead. The peasants then rushed straight for the police, and a desperate handto-hand conflict ensued, the former using their scythes, slanes, and pitchforks; the latter charging with the bayonet.

The conflict lasted for about an hour, and resulted in the complete rout and almost total annihilation of the police force, eleven of whom were killed and seventeen wounded. The casualties


the peasantry were also serious. The news of this unfortunate affray soon spread throughout the country, creating consternation and panic in Ascendency and official




his cow.

circles. The Protestant bishops immediately issued directions to the clergy not to press for the payment of tithes until parliament had dealt with the subject, and the Castle acquiesced in the adoption of the policy of prudent restraint so advised. A truce was accordingly granted.

But parliament would not concede the popular demands, and the 'truce' came to an end in April 1832. In that month the Rev. J. Coote, rector of Doon, in the County Limerick, imitating the example of Mr Macdonald of Graigue, had, contrary to the practice of the Ascendency clergy, demanded tithes of the parish priest of the district. The priest refused to pay, and Mr Coote seized

The 17th of April was fixed for the sale of the cow.

It may safely be said that never before or since has a cow been sold under similar circumstances of distinction. Two pieces of artillery, sixty men of the 12th Lancers, and five companies of the 92d Highlanders, with a strong force of police, escorted the unfortunate animal to the place of sale, where not less than 4000 peasants had assembled to witness the sight. Amid

of great excitement and uproar, the

was ultimately 'knocked down' to the priest's brother for a sum of twelve pounds. The military then retired, leaving the village in the hands of the police. But the soldiers had scarcely proceeded a mile outside of the village, when the peasants, armed with sticks and slanes, attacked the police in




« PreviousContinue »