Frank P. Thomas Jr., Donald J. Thomas, and Robert E. Wildman, owners of the General Equipment Company, entered into the fast-food business by opening a 15AA[ hamburger restaurant called Burger Chef in Indianapolis in 1958. General Equipment was a manufacturer of restaurant machinery and built the equipment installed in each Burger Chef store. The partners started their new Burger Chef division to sell more equipment; they never could have imagined that Burger Chef would eventually grow to become the nation's second-largest hamburger chain and beloved by customers in towns and cities across America. Burger Chef continued in business until 1982, cooking its popular flame-broiled hamburgers and introducing its memorable advertising icons, Burger Chef and Jeff.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
The Early Years
Burger Chef under General Foods
Other editions - View all
added addition advertisement appeared became Big Shef broiled building built BURGER CHEF HAMBURGERS Burger Chef located Burger Chef restaurant Burger Chef store Butch Schroeder called changed cheese Cheeseburger Chef's City complete cook Cosmo Courtesy of Butch Courtesy of Donald Courtesy of Frank Courtesy of Kyle created customers Dave Lester Donald Thomas Jr drink Drive drive-in early Equipment Company estate of Raymond fish sandwich Foods former franchise FREE french fries front Home Indiana Indianapolis Kyle Brown light logo look machines manager manufactured meal menu Michigan milk shakes million MODEL NATIONWIDE offer opened operation Orange original owner Park photograph plans president profit promotional remodeled roof arch SALES Sani-Broiler Sani-Serv sell served shot shows side standing street sign taken Texas Treat units Wildman World's Greatest Hamburger